Empowering Veterans: OT Works! Supports Veterans and RCMP Service Members on Their Journey to Post-Service Life
At OT Works!, we take pride in being able to serve our veterans through Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC). Our Occupational Therapists (OTs) can play a large role in guiding service members as they transition back into civilian life. We understand that this journey can be challenging, and that’s why we create personalized treatment plans to assist our clients in enhancing their daily life management.
As experts in functional rehabilitation, our OTs understand the difficulties that veterans and their families may face during this transition period. Our therapists build upon the service member’s existing skills, fostering efficiency, safety, and independence.
Under contract with VAC, OT Works! therapists provide Occupational Therapy assessments and treatment. These interventions encompass a wide spectrum, including:
- home adaptations
- assistive device prescriptions (including wheelchairs and scooters)
- mental health support
- managing disrupted routines, and
- tackling occupational challenges arising from traumatic brain injuries.
How Can an OT Help?
Our commitment is to provide personalized and effective treatment not only to veterans but also to their families. As community-based occupational therapists, we meet our clients in their environments, whether it’s their workplaces, schools, gyms, homes, or communities.
We value the rich diversity of experiences our clients bring to the table and have established a rigorous Quality Assurance process to ensure they receive the care they truly deserve. OT Works! takes pride in helping our veterans become the best version of themselves.
We extend our support to those with physical injuries, such as soft tissue injuries, orthopedic conditions, and brain injuries, as well as those dealing with trauma-induced or exacerbated mental health conditions like PTSD, depression, and anxiety. Additionally, our clinical expertise extends to chronic pain and operational stress injuries.
Services we offer
Our Occupational Therapists employ evidence-based, trauma-informed care strategies. We place a strong emphasis on compensation and goal-oriented treatment plans, assisting clients by:
- Providing educational insights into injuries, current abilities, and recovery, such as pain management and typical recovery timelines.
- Working to enhance and expand current abilities or skills, whether it’s increasing lifting tolerance or improving emotional regulation.
- Adapting materials and environments, from adding a bench in the shower to assessing the need for a power wheelchair.
- Recommending environmental changes, including connecting clients with specialized public transportation options or advocating for workplace accommodations.
Our Experience with VAC Clients
Our OTs are passionate about working with veterans and boast extensive experience in addressing their unique needs. Some of our team members have been dedicated to serving veterans for many years. We understand the distinctive challenges and requirements of veterans, thanks in part to our Clinical Director, Pamela Russell, who grew up in a military family. Her father served as a military member, with her mother supporting veterans through a career with Veterans Affairs Canada. This understanding of both military and civilian life ensures our client-centered services celebrate your strengths and competencies, ultimately helping you manage everyday tasks efficiently, safely, and as independently as possible.
Our services extend across various regions, including:
- Metro Vancouver: Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Surrey, North & West Vancouver, Richmond, Delta, White Rock, Port Moody, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Langley, Fort Langley, Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows.
- Fraser Valley: Mission, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Harrison Lake, Agassiz, Dewdney, Hope.
- Sea-to-Sky: Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton.
- Vancouver Island-South: Victoria, Esquimalt, Sooke, East Sooke, Saanich, Sidney, Langford, Colwood, Metchosin.
- Central Island: Ladysmith, Nanaimo, Parksville, Qualicum Beach, Port Alberni.
- North Island: Campbell River, Courtney, Comox, Cumberland, Fanny Bay, Nanoose Bay, Union Bay.
Referring a Veteran
Referring a veteran to OT Works! is a straightforward process:
- VAC Case Managers: Send your referral through the BHSOL portal.
- RCMP Case Managers: Feel free to send the referral to us via email, fax, or give us a call to discuss.
- Veterans: If you’re a veteran unsure of your needs, please discuss them with your Case Manager. If you have any questions or uncertainties, don’t hesitate to contact us, and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.
Get started with an OT
If you or someone you know could benefit from the guidance of a skilled occupational therapist, we invite you to reach out to us today:
Phone: 604.696.1066 ext. 1000.
At OT Works!, we are dedicated to supporting veterans as they embark on their post-service journeys towards a fulfilling and independent life.