Riana Downs, BHSc, MOT
Riana earned her Bachelor’s of Health Sciences and worked in the engineering field for several years before pursuing her Masters in Occupational Therapy from UBC. In this time, she developed a passion for mental health, contributing hundreds of hours of support as a crisis line volunteer at the Calgary Distress Center and receiving Psychological First Aid certification from the Canadian Mental Health Association. Most recently, Riana has assisted clients with mental health concerns, chronic pain, musculoskeletal/orthopaedic injuries, concussion and traumatic brain injury, and those with mixed diagnoses.
Riana has always found the small details of life fascinating – the way the light catches on the bark of a tree at sunset, flowers that burst their way through cracks in sidewalks, the intricate patterns formed in sand by receding waves. Capturing such things with her camera has been a decades-long passion. This eye for detail is also something she brings to her work. One of her greatest excitements is learning about and uncovering those fascinating details about the people she is privileged to collaborate with, and then using those details to empower her clients to be the best versions of themselves.
"Private practice allows me to dig deep with my clients and develop therapeutic relationships that enable them to be the best they can be."
- Masters of Occupational Therapy – University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Health Sciences – University of Calgary
- CAOT Member since 2019
- Psychological First-Aid Certification from CMHA
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Ergonomic Assessments
- Job Demands Analysis (physical and cognitive)
- Return to Work Planning
- Worksite Accommodations
- Injury Prevention
- Home Safety/Falls Prevention Assessment
- Home Care
- Hospital Discharge Planning
- Case Management
- Life skills for depression and anxiety
- Return to sport and leisure
- Clients: Adult
- Clients: Older Adult